If you are celebrating a Kauai Thanksgiving here on island, you may see laulau and sushi on local tables or turkey roasted in an imu. For more traditional options, our Kauai vacation rentals include a full kitchen where you can prepare a conventional feast. Other choices include dining at local restaurants that feature a Thanksgiving menu. Plus, don’t forget to enjoy our Kauai beaches where locals and visitors gather to celebrate. Whatever you need for your holiday, you can find it on Kauai.
Things to Do on Kauai | Thanksgiving Update.
1. Decide your food options. If you are eating in, you can shop at Costco (Lihue) for frozen and fully cooked turkeys and hams with all the fixings. Living Foods at the Shops at Kukuiula will also prepare a feast for you to reheat at your Kauai condo or home (order by November 22). Those eating out can see places to dine on Open Table and contact our guest concierge for ideas. If you want a meatless Thanksgiving, Our Place Kauai is now open in Kapaa and is the island’s only totally vegan restaurant.
2. Pick your beach or go for a hike. Enjoy our tropical paradise with locals on Thanksgiving. Use our guide to Kauai Beaches to help find the perfect spot of sand to relax and unwind. Another resource is our map to Kauai Activities that includes popular hikes on Kauai.
3. Plan a luau with our exclusive Kauai activity discount. Stay in our Kauai vacation rentals through December 23 and save 25% at Auli`i Luau. Located at Poipu Beach, it is the only oceanfront luau on Kauai. Reservations are accepted Monday and Thursday nights plus some Saturday evenings. Call our guest concierge to book your spot at 808-742-4763 or toll free 866-906-7529.
4. Check out Kauai events on Thanksgiving weekend. These include the following:
- Santa In Paradise. November 24. 6:30pm to 8:00pm at Storybook Theatre. Meet Santa during Hanapepe Art Night to start your season with a tropical flair. Bring your camera to take photos of your child with Santa in his sleigh. Donations accepted.
- Chamber Music Kauai Winter Concert. November 25 at 7:00pm and November 26 at 5:00pm. St. Michael and All Angels Church in Lihue. Donations accepted.
- 38th Annual Kauai Handworks Christmas Fair. November 25. 8:30am to 1:30pm. Wilcox School Cafeteria in Lihue. Shop for locally made gifts to take home for the holidays.
- Christmas Parade. November 25. Time TBA. Kukui Grove Shopping Center in Lihue. Free.
- If you are staying longer, be sure to see our Christmas in Hawaii post with more ideas of things to do on Kauai.
5. Read more about the history of Thanksgiving in Hawaii. Long before Plymouth Rock, the native Hawaiians had their own festival for thanks at this time of year. It was called Makahiki which included a huge luau. While there is no official date when Thanksgiving was first celebrated here, King Kamehameha declared December 31 a national holiday of Thanksgiving in 1849, to build a stronger relationship between Hawaii and America. It is interesting to note that this was 14 years before President Abraham Lincoln announced the national Thanksgiving holiday to be held each November.
Photo is Hale Makai from our Oceanfront Collection at Poipu Beach. This property is also featured in our Elite Collection. For more ideas, or to book your stay at any of our Kauai vacation rentals, call our reservation team at 800-325-5701. Be sure to ask about our current discounts in the Promo Collection.