Make Kauai Bon Dance your summer tradition when you stay at our Kauai vacation rentals. One of our top recommendations for free Kauai activities, there are nine weekends to choose from during June and July. Everyone is invited to this Kauai event that rotates around the island to a new location each week.
2019 Kauai Bon Dance Calendar
Event starts at 7:30pm and ends around 10:30pm.
Games, food booths and fun for the entire family.
- May 31-June 1, Kauai Soto Zen Temple, Hanapepe
- June 7-8, Koloa Jodo Mission
- June 14-15, West Kauai Hongwanji Mission, Hanapepe
- June 21-22, Lihue Hongwanji Mission
- June 28-29, Waimea Shingon Mission
- July 12-13, Kapaa Jodo Mission
- July 19-20, Waimea Higashi Hongwanji Mission
- July 26-27, Kapaa Hongwanji Mission
Top Five Kauai Bon Dance Tips.
1. See this 500 year Japanese tradition that honors the spirits of ancestors. Under a tropical night sky, dancers wearing summer kimonos move in a circle to the beat of Taiko drums. The mood is joyous with people of all ages and backgrounds participating.
2. Dancing is not required or expected! You can watch from the sideline or join the circle.
3. Come hungry. During the Bon Dance the barbecue is fired up and plate dinners are served for a nominal fee. There is usually a rummage sale with homemade Japanese treats.
4. Bring the kids too. There are games for them to enjoy and Hawaii shave ice.
5. Take a short break from the crowds and can step inside the Buddhist temple hosting the event. You can admire the alter and perhaps see dancers preparing to join the circle. Before leaving, follow them back outside for this celebration of life.
This is a great way to spend a midsummer’s eve and meet locals. If you have been to a Bon Dance, please share your favorite experience.