If you stay in our Kauai vacation rentals this summer, be sure to include the traditional Bon Dance on your list of Kauai activities. There are nine weekends to choose from during June, July and August. Everyone is invited to this Kauai event that rotates around the island to a new location each week.
2016 Kauai Bon Dance Calendar
Event starts at 7:30pm and ends around 10:30pm.
Games, food booths and fun for the entire family.
- June 3 & 4, Lihue Hongwanji
- June 10 & 11, Waimea Shingon
- June 17 & 18, Kapaa Jodo Mission
- June 24 & 26, WKHM-Waimea Temple
- July 8 & 9, Kapaa Hongwanji
- July 15 & 16, Waimea Higashi Hongwanji
- July 22 & 23, Kauai Soto Zen Temple Zenshuji, Hanapepe
- July 29 & 30, Koloa Jodo Mission
- August 5 & 6, WKHM-Hanapepe Temple
Kauai Visitor Tips to Bon Dance.
1. This 500 year Japanese tradition honors the spirits of ancestors. Under a tropical night sky, dancers wearing summer kimonos move in a circle to the beat of Taiko drums. The mood is joyous with people of all ages and backgrounds participating.
2. No dancing required or expected! You can watch from the sideline or join the circle.
3. During the Bon Dance the barbecue is fired up and plate dinners are served. There is usually a rummage sale with homemade Japanese treats.
4. Bring the kids too. There are games for them to enjoy and Hawaii shave ice.
5. When you want a short break from the crowds you can step inside the Buddhist temple hosting the event. Take time to admire the alter and you may see dancers preparing to join the circle. Before leaving, follow them back outside for this celebration of life.
This is a great way to spend a midsummer’s eve and meet locals. If you have been to a Bon Dance, please share your favorite experience.